Thursday, February 7, 2013

A kick in the butt of my constitutional rights.


I can’t believe the amount of crap that we can dole out in the name of Secularism. The one thing that came out of the Vishwaroopam controversy is that none of us understand the meaning of Secularism.

The only thing that I could unearth was that almost every school of thought agrees upon the fact that secularism is the exclusion of religious considerations as secularism exists independent of religion.

Having understood that, finally, I have arrived at the conclusion that my country is nowhere as secular as it boasts of itself.

Why? Because, my government prevented the release of a movie as it offended a religious subset of the population.

Ok. I could be unfair. May be there was a law and order situation as Amma JJ announced to all and sundry.
If so, it was funny how, the law and order was to keep people out of the cinemas than to actually stop any activism.

And, instead of being protected by his constitutional right, Kamal was forced to compromise and cut the so called ‘offensive’ parts of the movie.

Lastly…the cherry on the pie being that the poor movie goers were told it was for their own good while their right to choose was stripped away from them.

What was finally achieved? The constitutional rape of many to appease the religious radicals.

What am I moaning about? The fact that I (finally as an adult) has to follow Amma JJ’s and the religious radical’s dictates on what I should and should not watch on the big screen. 

What a boat load of Bull.....

1 comment:

  1. Honorable TN CM's composure, generosity in doling out statistics and logical conclusions almost convinces one that Vishwaroopam was a demon-of-a-movie.

    http://youtu.be/HcXjLo80GiA

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis