Sunday, December 11, 2011

My love affair with Rajini movies


One of my friends made an interesting post on his FB page “Thank God 'kolavari di' song is sung by Dhanush, if it was sung by his father in law Rajini it could have been our national anthem now”.  I laughed at that, however, he may definitely be on to a point. Cause, Rajinikanth in my state Tamil Nadu is an Icon sometimes equated to God. Even I, in my infinite practicality love him.

Most people do not understand my obsession with him. How can I watch Enthiran(Robot) or Sivaji or Basha or Billa so many times over and over again? Actually if someone asked me “eppadi” (how) I would say “suuuper” like Rajini does. And usually when hassling my friends, my normal dialogue is “Nan oru tharava sonna nooru tharava sonna mathiri” (if I’ve said it once, it’s like having said it a hundred times) – accompanied by a turn of my hand with only my index finger pointed outwards.

How can I say that I prefer him over Kamal Hassan? Well, to me, Rajini is the Big B of the south in movies and equal or more than Manmohan Singh on his moral worth.  So the question is how can I compare Rajini to Big B or Kamal. 

Anybody in the younger generation who questions  Rajini’s acting prowess probably did not check out Chitti in Enthiran. The older generation has had the benefit here because they have seen Rajini prior to him developing his signature style(Bairavi, Moonram mudichu, Mullum Malarum…). But the one quality probably even the Big B does not have is the ability to keep the mass engaged from the first scene to the last. You will laugh at his antics; you will cry at his dialogues; you will say “What is he doing? That’s just pure BS”. But, you will sit through the few hours of the movie - completely engaged with him.

The other reason that I love him is because of his total upfront dealings, his willingness to try and use his appeal for good causes and his courage in saying and standing by what he believes, whatever the cost.

But most of all, the reason I love him is because for that 3 hours that I am watching him, he makes me feel like laughing with him, crying with him or bashing up the bad guys with him.

EPPADI?

1 comment:

ShareThis